Re: [CQ-Contest] Ice Storms in NE

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Ice Storms in NE
From: "K1TTT" <K1TTT@ARRL.NET>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 22:56:35 +0000
In most of the cases once the boom is bent, especially if its an acute
angle, that is a permanent loss... a smooth bow in a boom may return to
normal if it didn't reach the elastic limit.

Elements are often more surprising, they can sometimes look horribly bowed
when ice loaded but snap right back up to normal when it melts.  In the case
here though the ice was followed by strong winds which permanently bent or
broke elements.

If you go to my blog at
http://wiki.k1ttt.net/2008%20Maintenance%20and%20Upgrade%20Blog.ashx#Bottom
And scroll up to the entries for 12/12 you will see some pictures elements
that look like horseshoes, but were still intact until the wind came up.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@arrl.net
web: http://www.k1ttt.net