[CQ-Contest] Logitech Noise-Cancelling Headphones

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Logitech Noise-Cancelling Headphones
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2009 10:22:24 -0500
Last spring there was a flurry of excitement among PVRC members because of
the brief availability of Logitech noise-cancelling headphones at a very
low price from Tiger Direct.  The phones are light, comfortable, and the
noise cancelling seems to work quite well - they quickly became my main
contesting phones.

Unfortunately, many of us quickly discovered why they were being sold so
cheaply.  In order to fit into a small, flat carrying case, they had been
designed with a swivel right above the earphone yoke on each side, so that
the earphones can be turned to lie flat.  This swivel was made of
small-diameter plastic, and was VERY prone to breakage.  When the problem
was discovered, Logitech ditched the product rather than go through a redesign.

Recently, I heard that Logitech was offering refunds on the headphones.  I
called Logitech about my two sets, both of which had broken swivels.  To my
surprise, the customer service rep confirmed that the swivels had been a
design defect, and while they didn't have any replacement parts, they could
at least do a refund.

The rep also suggested that I keep one pair and try gluing the swivel joint
back together, because he said that they headband has sufficient torsional
flexibility to give a comfortable fit even without the swivels.  I tried
this, and it's definitely true.  I used an adhesive called Elmer's
Stix-All, which smells like RTV of some sort.  So far, it's holding.

I don't know how many contesters are in a similar boat, but thought this
worth reporting.

73, Pete N4ZR
the World Contest Station Database is back, and updated daily
www.conteststations.com