Re: [CQ-Contest] Topband: No DX Window in 2009 CQ 160

To: "Richard L. King" <k5na@ecpi.com>,"Bill Tippett" <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Topband: No DX Window in 2009 CQ 160
From: Andy Blank <n2nt@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 21:48:06 -0500

>>The fact the window disappeared from 2008 to 2009 is not an accident.
>>I'll cc Andy N2NT in case he feels it needs clarification for any
>>wishful (window) thinkers out there.
>>
>>73,  Bill
>
>Yes, it is also obvious to me it wasn't an accident.
>
>But with no official positive affirmation of its demise, many will
>continue to think it is still there. It is better to be very precise
>about changes like this.

You are both correct. There was no mention of the window on purpose.
The activity in the contest has become so large that 5 khz reserved
for DX qsos is just not practical.
I would much rather see more of the band used, especially the region
above 1875.
I know Bill would agree with me that the QRM level is much easier to
deal with there.
Yes there is SSB activity in that part of the band, but there is
plenty of room.

The window cannot be used fairly, as Bill stated. How does one decide
who can stay there and what qsos are valid? It is usually dominated
by big guns.
It is better to make use of the whole spectrum available. Even though
many stations are using bandwidth limited antennas, you would be surprised
how much easier it can be higher in the band. Try it!

I know it may hurt some casual operators looking only to work DX to
not have the window.
With the widespread use of DX spotting networks and other means,
there will be no problem finding whatever they need.
If we spread out, everyone will have a chance.
If you choose to work split, that is up to you. It works on other
bands, and used to be the norm on topband.

Bottom line is to have fun. The window might be an issue with those
who assume it's a rule.
That's to be expected. Venture there if you dare :-)

Please everyone read the new rules along with available trophies at
http://cq160.com/
Make sure your software can handle the exchange change for DX to
zones, and remember the contest starts 2 hours earlier.

73, Andy N2NT
Director CQ 160 Contest