Re: [CQ-Contest] wtb, quick rx checker

To: "K1TTT" <K1TTT@ARRL.NET>, <k3lr@k3lr.com>, "'reflector cq-contest'" <CQ-Contest@Contesting.COM>, "'YCCC'" <yccc@yccc.org>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] wtb, quick rx checker
From: "Robert Chudek - K0RC" <k0rc@pclink.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 14:48:47 -0600
This isn't necessarily inexpensive, but it's a nice tool for antenna
analysis. I have one. The AEA VIA-HF Analyst generates a low RF signal from
100 KHz to 54 Mhz. It'll sweep a range or sit on a frequency you enter via
the keyboard.

There's several things I like about it. The graphic display is one. Another
is being able to sweep an antenna at it's terminals on the top of the tower
and bring the VIA down to the shack to load the data into your computer for
review. You can make an antenna change and then compare the before/after
graphs. No guessing about "what changed".

My only negative is that it eats batteries if you don't turn it off (8
AA's), although NiMH's help in this department. And like all analyzers, if
there's a nearby high-power RF field, the analyzer can be useless (Field
Day, 50-KW broadcaster down the block, etc.).

The VIA-HF product is in the lower left corner:
http://www.aeatechnology.com/products/swr

Ham reviews here: http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/2494

73 de Bob - KØRC in CHS

The Minnesota QSO Party - Saturday, Feb 7, 2009 - details here:
www.w0aa.org