Re: [CQ-Contest] 1 million qso's?

To: James Cain <jamesdavidcain@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] 1 million qso's?
From: Bill Coleman <aa4lr@arrl.net>
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2009 19:03:51 -0500
On Jan 29, 2009, at 4:13 AM, James Cain wrote:

> A week or two ago the "web survey" question on the front page of the
> arrl web site was "About how many CW QSOs do you think you made in
> 2008, excluding contest contacts?"
>
> I checked "Less than 5," which was probably a stretch.

I think I made somewhere between 50 and 100.

> I guess contest contacts aren't "real" contacts.

Contest contacts are different from casual contacts. The CW
proficiency required for a contest contact is very different. CW
contests also seem to activate the CW bands -- perhaps this survey
attempts to see how much other kind of CW activity there is.

> 40 percent of respondents checked "I don't work CW."

The vast majority of hams didn't pass a CW requirement for their
license, and some that did have long ago forgotten it. so this isn't
surprising.

             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901