Re: [CQ-Contest] Putting the spoon into the pot: WPX - who is on first?

To: <kr2q@optimum.net>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Putting the spoon into the pot: WPX - who is on first?
From: "Randy Thompson K5ZD" <k5zd@charter.net>
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2009 18:05:07 -0000
This is not an issue specific to the WPX Contest.  I believe all CQ Contests
(WW, RTTY, WPX, 160) follow this convention of only awarding one plaque per
entry.

The goal of the plaque program is to motivate and provide recognition.

There are 3 "levels" of plaques (World, Continent, Country).  If an entry
was allowed to win multiple plaques, then one great effort from an
advantaged location could take all 3 levels and leave other strong efforts
unrecognized.  Perhaps all the plaques should not say "Winner", but again,
that's they way it has been done historically.  The policy has been to
always award an entry with the highest level plaque they were eligible for.

I am interested in hearing from the contest community if this policy should
be changed (specifically for the WPX Contest).

What we have done for WPX in 2009 is change the definition of the North
America plaques so that they only apply to stations outside the USA and
Canada.  This accomplishes two desirable results: 1) it encourages activity
from North American stations outside USA/Canada, and 2) the winner of the
USA or Canada for a category will always be the winner of the country
plaque.

The list of plaques currently sponsored for the upcoming WPX contests can be
seen at http://www.cqwpx.com/plaques.htm.  (We are still looking for a few
more sponsors.)

To follow the example of my friend Jim White (K4OJ - SK), it is only 27 more
days until the CQ WPX Phone Contest!

Randy Thompson, K5ZD

Director - CQ WPX Contest

email: k5zd@cqwpx.com