Re: [CQ-Contest] [RTTY] I just have to ask

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] [RTTY] I just have to ask
From: "Ron Notarius W3WN" <wn3vaw@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 07 Mar 2009 16:45:31 -0500
Propagation beacons are one of the more useful tools in a DX'er's and
contester's arsenal, as they can give you a passive indication of
propagation on a particular band to a particular part of the world.

For the beacons to be useful, they need to be found.  Which means that a
given beacon is voluntarily coordinated to avoid interference with other
beacons in the same band in other parts of the world.

Yes, strictly speaking, a beacon operator doesn't "own" a frequency, any
more than a repeater owner "owns" a repeater pair.  But it is in our own
best interests, for ourselves as contesters and for other amateurs pursuing
other types of activities as part of the Amateur Radio Service, to recognize
the purpose of the beacons, why they are placed where they are, and to try
and avoid interfering with them if at all possible.

We used to call that "good amateur practice."

And I do believe that the FCC, here in the US, expects us to use "good
amateur practice" in our day to day operating.

So, with that in mind... why are we trying to stir up a hornet's nest with
the beacon operators?

73