Re: [CQ-Contest] Callsign "appendages" in QSO party logs

To: Tom Macon <tmacon@wi.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Callsign "appendages" in QSO party logs
From: David Levine <david@levinecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 1 May 2009 20:05:54 -0400
Tom,

There are 3 main concerns I've heard about this topic as I was also
interested and posted questions about it.

Concern 1: When a station is mobile, how can you quickly tell they have
moved to a new county that you might need? That is why they call CQ TEST
AB1CD/CTY AB1CD/CTY CQ . That is why the county is shown in the exchange
there.

Concern 2: Some (?) Most (?) All (?) logging programs will not let you enter
(though you can force), 2 entries for the same same call sign. I use N1MM so
I know that won't work. Entering AB1CD 59 CTY1 is allowed. After logged,
when I enter AB1CD 59 CTY2 it says I have already logged it on that band.
Yes, I could force it to log it, but I think N1MM would show it as 0 points
in its scoring. If entered as AB1CD/P or /M then it would allow and properly
score another entry with a different exchange (county).

Concern 3: Electronic QSLing. If we need to log AB1CD as /P or /M or /CTY,
what is the other operator submitting their log to eQSL and LoTW? Are they
submitting their logs as just AB1CD and we need to change our your info
manually or by editing the file?

Also, you might not know the first time you log a station that they indeed
will be mobile, so you have them just as AB1CD the first time and then when
you see they are mobile, you now have a /P, etc for the same station.

The above are the main reasons I've heard about why we had the discussions.

73,
K2DSL - David