[CQ-Contest] Contesters Help Needed

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Contesters Help Needed
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 09 May 2009 02:10:22 -0400
As we work on adding content to the Contesting Compendium
(http://wiki.contesting.com), we're experimenting with ways of using
multi-media to improve communication.  For example, in our section on
S&P Techniques, we have begun using excerpts from actual contest
recordings to illustrate good techniques.  Take a look at
(http://wiki.contesting.com/index.php/Search_%26_Pounce_Techniques  -
note the underlining between what look like separate words, and the
use of "%26" instead of an ampersand) to see an example.

We'd like contesters' opinions on the use of this technique.  Is the
recording clear enough?  If not, what is wrong with it?  Do you find
it helps communicate the points we're trying to make, or is it an
unnecessary complication?

Speaking of communication, we'd also appreciate comment on the
general use of language in articles like this one, because we aim to
communicate with contesters whose first language is not English.  Is
it too colloquial?  Would it be better to be more formal, and to try
harder to simplify the style?

You can either write directly to me (off the reflector, please) or
make any comments on the "discussion" page that accompanies each page
of the Compendium.  We want to get this right.

Thanks!

73, Pete N4ZR
New Articles Daily - the Contesting Compendium at http://wiki.contesting.com
The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com