[CQ-Contest] VK 4-letter suffixes

To: cq contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] VK 4-letter suffixes
From: Jim Reisert AD1C <jjreisert@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2009 19:13:04 -0600
[Please direct any replies to the CQ-Contest reflector, or Eddie, VK4AN]

From: "Edward Deyoung" <vk4an@activ8.net.au>
To: <jjreisert@alum.mit.edu>
Subject: VK 4-letter suffixes
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2009 21:37:16 +1000

There is still much reluctance and confusion amongst contesters regarding VK
4-letter suffix calls... especially in CW contests!  My son is probably the
ONLY VK with a 4-letter suffix that operates on CW, and is VERY frustrated
when contesters keep asking if his call is 2-letters or 3-letters... and one
even accused him of being 'a commercial station' and refused to work him!
4-letter suffix's are issued to 'Foundation-class' hams (similar to the US
novice-class). ALL Foundation class suffixes begin with an "F" plus 3 more
letters.  They have a maximum of 10-watts power on 80-40-15-10m CW-SSB only
and must use commercially made equipment.  My son's call is VK4FRAJ.  He
really enjoys CW but is ready to stop contesting due to the frustration of
others NOT knowing that Australia issues 4-letter suffixes!! PLEASE SPREAD
THE WORD THAT VK issues 4-LETTER SUFFIXES... and that the only one that we
know of that is on CW is VK4FRAJ (not VK4FJ, not VK4RAJ, not VK4FRA, not
VK4FR, not VK4FRJ... etc...).  "Raj" said he would appreciate it if
contesters would listen for his QRP CW signal and to please realize that he
has a 4-letter suffix (VK4FRAJ).

Regards and 73 de Eddie VK4AN (Father of VK4FRAJ)

Eddie DeYoung VK4AN
46 Bangalow St
"Rocky Point"
Russell Island QLD 4184