Re: [CQ-Contest] 7040 as lower limit

To: Sandy Taylor <ve4xt@mts.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] 7040 as lower limit
From: Tom Haavisto <kamham69@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 2009 10:52:03 -0400
As I recall, a serious issue with bandplans was raised either here or
elsewhere.  Bandplans are designed for "normal" loading conditions.  That
way, folks interested in one particular style of operating can find each
other under "normal" circumstances.  In a contest setting, band loading goes
up considerably, to the point where bandplans cannot be reasonably applied.
This is not the "normal" loading that the bandplans are designed to address.

"Strongly encouraged" is fine, but what happens when a certain segment of
the band designed for a certain type of activity is full, or even
overloaded?  That leaves the participants with three choices.  Cease
operations, change bands, or operate outside the bandplan (yet still conform
to their licence restrictions).

At the end of the day, we are all grownups, and as such, can make reasonable
decisions about our operations.  Expecting to have every possible variation
laid out in exact detail is hardly reasonable.  It would get to the point
where we would have a large book just to cover the rules, and no one would
participate...  Hardly the direction we want to go...

Tom - VE3CX