Re: [CQ-Contest] New Universal Contest Rule XXII

To: CQ-Contest <CQ-Contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] New Universal Contest Rule XXII
From: Michael Coslo <mjc5@psu.edu>
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 2009 08:27:47 -0400
On Jun 6, 2009, at 11:46 AM, Randy Thompson K5ZD wrote:

> During my ethics presentation at CTU in Dayton, I specifically made
> the
> opposite point.
>
> Contest sponsors have deliberately chosen to keep rules relatively
> simple.
> Perhaps to follow historical precedent or keep the text to something
> that
> will fit in a magazine.  To fully cover every situation, our rules
> would
> look like Formula 1 car racing or top level sail boat racing and be
> hundreds
> of pages long.
>
> We would then need judges, a commissioner, and an organization to
> manage the
> rules (not to mention more lawyers).  We don't have a big TV
> contract or big
> $$ sponsors, so contesting remains largely an honor sport.

In 07 I rewrote the PAQSO rules. Going from one page to 9 pages.

In it, I specifically defined various classes, to the point of
defining "Pennsylvania Amateur" and changing from "Operating
Frequencies" to "Suggested Frequencies". The stations are defined. In
cases where  thee is some natural leeway, such as county line
stations, there is a definition plus the tolerances, and an offer to
judge if the participants are unsure. It's maybe a good read.

http://www.nittany-arc.net/Paqso_pdfs/paqso07rules.pdf

About 3 months after publishing them, I was told by another amateur
that they weren't very clear.

I just chuckled. Told him to write up what would make the rules more
clear, and never heard from him again.

> so contesting remains largely an honor sport.

Which is just how I like it! Hear, Hear!

-73 de Mike N3LI -