[CQ-Contest] Borrowing Callsign/Control Operator

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Borrowing Callsign/Control Operator
From: kr2q@optimum.net
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 2009 21:48:45 +0000 (GMT)
First, look at things in context.

§97.103 Station licensee responsibilities.

(a) The station licensee is responsible for the proper operation of the
station in accordance with the FCC Rules. When the control operator
is a different amateur operator than the station licensee, both persons
are equally responsible for proper operation of the station.

(b) The station licensee must designate the station control operator.
The FCC will presume that the station licensee is also the control operator,
unless documentation to the contrary is in the station records.

(c) The station licensee must make the station and the station records
available for inspection upon request by an FCC representative. When
deemed necessary by a District Director to assure compliance with the
FCC Rules, the station licensee must maintain a record of station operations
containing such items of information as the District Director may require in
accord with § 0.314(x) of the FCC Rules.

§97.105

Control operator duties.

(a) The control operator must ensure the immediate proper operation of the
station, regardless of the type of control.

(b) A station may only be operated in the manner and to the extent permitted
by the privileges authorized for the class of operator license held by the
control
operator.

Second:
I would focus on the word IMMEDIATE.  To my mind, and to my experience, that
means that the control op is RIGHT THERE, AT THE RIG.  [caps for emphasis, not
yelling] Not just "on site" and not just "in the room."

Finally,

Way back when, when I was still an advanced class op at a M/M (1975), I would
operate ONLY on 10 meters where I had "full" privileges and didn't need a
control op.
That was our interpretation.

de Doug KR2Q