Re: [CQ-Contest] Encouraging contest participation

To: "Ron Notarius W3WN" <wn3vaw@verizon.net>,<CQ-Contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Encouraging contest participation
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 09:15:46 -0400
Hi Ron - Every contest QSO I have made since 1994 is in LOTW.  I was
a beta user of LOTW wat the beginning, and I am not reflexively
anti-LOTW at all.  I have already apologized to one of the authors
for my hyperbolic description of LOTW's security, but the fact
remains that obtaining a certificate from LOTW is quite onerous for
many people, and particularly for non-US hams.

As for your second point (how did it wind up first?), The logs I have
submitted to LOTW contain QSO data with many, many  hams who are not
themselves LOTW users (about 75 percent of my QSOs, in fact).  I
don't think that constitutes forcing them to participate in it - I
don't recall anyone objecting to being in the database, per se, just
to the security requirements.  For that matter, it would be simple
enough to make provision for people to ask that their logs not be
included in the program, if they wished to do so.

But we're getting away from the real point - how do we provide
incentives for non-contesters to get into contests?  You need to
offer something they can't get in another way.  Many of us got into
contesting through DXing, but the cost of collecting the QSLs has
gotten way out of hand.  My thought was simply to take advantage of
that fact, to give operating in contests further competitive appeal.

73, Pete N4ZR