Re: [CQ-Contest] The Old WoodPecker

To: CQ Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] The Old WoodPecker
From: Zack Widup <w9sz.zack@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2009 09:26:18 -0500
Fascinating, Brett.

Supposedly ZC4 was also the souirce of the shortwave spy numbers
transmissions from the station known as "the Lincolnshire Poacher." It
disappeared about a year ago and hasn't been heard since.

When I was in grad school, the research station where I spent a lot of time
had a vertical incidence ionosonde. It swept from 3 to 30 MHz but was
programmed to skip the ham bands and WWV frequencies. But it was never on
one frequency very long, anyway. It swept that whole range in about 30
seconds.
Where was the original Russian Woodpecker of the 1970's located?

73, Zack W9SZ