[CQ-Contest] IARU Rules RE: Packet

To: "'Kenneth E. Harker'" <kenharker@kenharker.com>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] IARU Rules RE: Packet
From: "Hal Kennedy" <halken@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 20:22:50 -0000
Sure Ken, no packet for anyone is fine by me, although the packet/no
packet horse left the barn ten years ago and got beat to death soon
after.  My personal view is there should always be a category for
"everything turned on."  Others disagree - FB.  Meanwhile, the IARU
rules specifically allow packet.

I could easily be mistaken, but I think IARU is the only, or one of the
only contests that allows a SO to use either packet or SO2R but not both
- which seems rather odd.  I wonder if that's on purpose, or an artifact
of the rule making?  Not posting to stir up the packet debate of old,
just looking for clarity going forward.

73,
Hal N4GG

On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 03:08:51PM -0000, Hal Kennedy wrote:
> Suppose as a Single Op, CW, I would like to use packet in the upcoming
> IARU test.  The rules state this makes me M/S (seems okay) and
> mixed-mode only (a rather harsh penalty since I'm not mixed-mode), and
> as a M/S I can't changed bands more often than every 10 minutes -
which
> means I can't run SO2R.
>
> Is this really what we want/need?  Some reason we can have a
> single-op-assisted category?

Does every contest need an assisted category?

Why not operate the contest without packet?

Why not change the rules so that multi-ops cannot use packet, either?