Re: [CQ-Contest] [TowerTalk] stacking 2 different beams

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] [TowerTalk] stacking 2 different beams
From: "Mark Beckwith" <n5ot@n5ot.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 06:43:38 -0500
N4GG wrote a really good article in the NCJ about this topic within the past
year or two.  He concluded:

1. a lot of people do it
2. some people get unexpected results
3. there IS a "sweet spot" using different feedline lengths, but it's not as
intuitive as only compensating for horizontal Driven Element offset.

Off the top of my head I cannot tell you how you find the sweet spot.
Usually when I wonder about stuff like this I ask N4GG for help  :)  Start
by reading the article.  It is a great article.

Jerry K4SAV brings up some good points, but I think he's splitting hairs to
some extent.  Having the two antennas will definitely increase your options
and make your station more flexible.  Also, he is 100% correct that your
operating will benefit from being able to switch between the two antennas -
or at least if you set it up that way you can develop confidence in what the
array can and cannot do.  I am confident you will be pleased by it, after
you get the feedline lengths right.

I'm not so fast to say rotate your moxon is required.  You didn't tell us
what you have on 40 in other directions :)

I would also not arbitrarily set the spacing to where you put the lower
antenna 15M below the upper antenna - I am assuming that changing the height
of the top antenna is pretty much not an option, right?  But that you can
put the lower one maybe "wherever is the best place" - ?  I would look at
putting it more like a quarter wave below the top one.

I would model all this beforehand.  You really should find a way to model
antennas, Daniel, it will totally change your life.

So yes, by all means it is a good idea and it certainly will be better than
using only one or the other of the antennas for some of your international
QSOs.

73 - Mark, N5OT