[CQ-Contest] CQ WW CC Update

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] CQ WW CC Update
From: Bob Cox <bobk3est@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 15:18:20 -0700
CQ WW Contest Committee Update August 20, 2009

Dear Contester,

In 2008 the CQ WW contest received the largest number of submitted logs in
its history with over 10,000 entrants submitting electronic logs. The
continued growth of the contest depends on many critical factors.  Of
particular note is the need for an honest effort by each entrant.

The committee is aware there are a few entrants who feel the need to win
using any available method.  Fortunately, these individuals are a mere
handful of the contest’s total entries.  During the 2008 contest, for
example, we estimate that approximately 25 entrants, whose score would have
placed in the top score box, required close scrutiny.  This number is very
small when compared against the logs received (0.25%).  Unfortunately, those
competitors choosing to violate the rules are vying for high profile
positions in the contest and they receive high publicity.  In 2008 the CQ WW
Contest Committee brought new tools to bear on these suspected logs.  We
uncovered the use of two operators working contacts,  multiple support
operators filling a band map on the non-run band, and the use of a DX
spotting system, all while claiming single operator unassisted.  For several
multi-single competitors, we discovered times had been altered within the
log to give the appearance of complying with the ten-minute rule.

You should be aware that the CQ WW Contest Committee receives input each
year from outside the committee. These individuals provide a valuable
service to the contest community by alerting us to possible problem logs.  In
certain cases, these individuals have performed their own analysis and are
convinced they are right in their assessment. We take their analysis and
study it for veracity.  In other words, we accept their input as a flag but
do not rely on outside analyses for a disqualification decision.  We have
established a rather high bar for disqualification.  For example, submitting
simple associations between a given QSO and a DX cluster spot alone is not
adequate; such an association does not necessarily meet the statistical
validity we require.  Several critics of our methods, while very vocal, have
been silent when it comes to providing “proof.”

In an effort to confirm the outstanding efforts of potential trophy winners,
we have created a new rule involving the possibility of site inspections for
the upcoming 2009 CQ WW contest.  As you can imagine from a practical point
of view, the new rule engages only the very top contenders in multiple
categories.  They could be visited by a CQ WW contest committee observer
during the contest.  By having an observer assigned to a station, we are not
automatically implying that there has been illicit behavior by that entrant.
 Rather, it simply suggests that they are a word-class contender and we want
to allay any questions other contenders might raise about the operation.

The full 2009 CQ WW rules can be found at cqww.com. We will issue more
updates in the future.  If you have any questions, please contact
questions@cqww.com .

CQ WW Contest Committee