Re: [CQ-Contest] Techniques of Ye Olden Days

To: CQ-Contest@CONTESTING.COM
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Techniques of Ye Olden Days
From: jpescatore@aol.com
Date: Wed, 02 Sep 2009 07:23:38 -0400
How about the evolution of multiplier spotting assistance? When I operated at
W3LPL back in the late 80s/early 90s it went from:

Someone monitoring the 2m callout frequency (both locally and another freq
slightly north of MD) and

then running slips of paper to each band multiplier position or sitting down
and working the mult if that band only had one op.

Someone monitoring the 2m packet cluster (both locally and another cluster
slightly north of MD) and

then running slips of paper to each band multiplier position or sitting down
and working the mult if that band only had one op.

PCs networked with CT directly to the cluster.

Then the global DXclusteropolis and the N1MM bandmap and now Skimmer.

I work in Internet security and there are sites that connect unpatched Windows
and Linux PCs to the Internet and measure how quickly

?hackers find them and exploit them (under 30 minutes for Windows, under 6
hours for Linux). It be interesting to see in any major contest

?how quickly a "virgin" CQer is found and worked...

John K3TN