Re: [CQ-Contest] Who Is the Oldest?

To: "Ward Silver" <hwardsil@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Who Is the Oldest?
From: "Tom Macon" <tmacon@wi.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 22:16:40 -0500
Hi, Ward -

Below is an bit from the 1961-62 Annual Report of the Badger Amateur Radio
Society (W9YT) that talks about the Wisconsin QSO Party in 1963 (47 years
ago). I believe WiQP predates 1962 but I don't know how many years.  Perhaps
Fred, K3ZO, would remember more.  I believe that WiQP was sponsored by the
Wisconsin Nets Assn in those days but I can't think of anyone else from that
era that is still around.  The piece below was written by Bob Dixon, W8ERD,
and can be found at http://w9yt.engr.wisc.edu/html/sixties/61-62report.pdf ,
p 3, under Special Activities.

Tom Macon, K9BTQ
West Allis RAC

=================
Special Activities

As a club station, with many members, we are able to carry on many
activities that individual stations would find very difficult if not
impossible.

During the Wisconsin QSO Party, two of our members went on a "DX-pedition"
to Menominee County, Wisconsin.  They set up a small station in the sheriff's
office at Neopit and raised an 80-meter dipole between two convenient pine
trees.  Menominee County was created only recently, having previously been a
federal Indian Reservation.  Thus we were regarded as a rather strange breed
of animal as we set up the station with a reasonable portion of the local
population looking on.

The sheriff was very considerate, and provided us with a nice little room
all to ourselves.  He didn't even complain when our transmitter wiped his
police band receiver right off the spectrum.  Unfortunately, that area of
the state is a poor one radio-wise, so we could only make 12 contacts in the
6 hours we were there.  The expedition wasn't a total loss, however, because
now we can always tell our visitors how that arrow got stuck in the top of
the Viking II.