[CQ-Contest] Tragic accident

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Tragic accident
From: "Rick Lindquist, WW3DE" <ww3de@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 16:28:51 -0400
I only moved to Delaware a little more than a year ago, but I had the
pleasure of operating the 2008 CQ WW CW at Dallas's multiop setup. He and I
visited since and kept in touch a bit since, and I was looking forward to
getting to know him better. I did have the opportunity to work with Dallas
while editing his profile in NCJ a few issues ago; he and I also shared an
interest in boating - Dallas ran a fishing charter out of Rumbley, Maryland,
just down the Eastern Shore.

Dallas's QTH is about three miles away from mine (his 120 footer is clearly
visible above the trees that surround his station site), and he often was MY
Delaware contact for SS and for other events requiring a state or section. I
learned today that Pete Radding, W2GJ, whom I did not know, grew up in
Seaford, Delaware (we live just outside of Seaford). This is according to a
family friend quoted in the Wilmington News Journal (where Jon, AA1K, is an
editor).

Dallas's daughter and at least one family member of one of those lost have
posted warmly appreciative comments in response to the newspaper article Tom
Macon referenced
http://www.journalscene.com/news/Plane-crashes-at-Summerville-Airport. The
list of condolences from around the world is lengthy and growing.

I will miss Dallas and having him as a neighbor and fellow radio amateur
here in Slower Lower Delaware. His was a mighty presence in this tiny state,
where contesters are already in rather short supply.

We'll be putting together an article for the January/February issue of NCJ.
In due course it would be helpful to obtain some background information from
those who knew Pete, Ed and Randy, since I did not. Please e-mail me at
ww3de@arrl.org. Thanks.

73,

Rick, WW3DE (ex-N1RL)
NCJ Managing Editor