[CQ-Contest] skimmer spotting? club spotting?

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] skimmer spotting? club spotting?
From: Tree <tree@kkn.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 16:14:17 -0700
WM5R writes:

> Aside from the legality of it, self-spotting is really bad form.  It's
> calling CQ on the internet.  You should be calling CQ on the radio.  It's
> a radio contest - not an internet contest.

I guess something here still feels odd to me about this statement.

Case 1: Someone hears you CQing - and they spot you - and people see the
spot and come to your frequency and work you.

Case 2: You spot yourself - people see the spot and come to your freqeuency
and work you.

In both cases - the internet is involved.  The information put out on the
internet is the same.  The net result is the same.  The difference is how
the information came to be posted to the internet.  You still call CQ on
the radio - and someone tunes you in and works you.

What about this?

Case 3: A skimmer sees your CQ - spots you on packet - and people see the
spot and come to your frequency to work you.

What callsign should the skimmer use to make the post to the internet?

What if my skimmer has a really bad antenna and seems to only hear my
station?

I still don't like the concept of self spotting, but I think it is getting
harder and harder to *really* prevent it.   Some people work around it by
making sure to spot their club members a lot.  If you have a bunch of
people across town who are spotting you - the net result is the same as
self spotting.

Tree N6TR