Re: [CQ-Contest] Ban all contest spotting?

To: CQ Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Ban all contest spotting?
From: "Kenneth E. Harker" <kenharker@kenharker.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2009 07:55:10 -0800
On Tue, Nov 03, 2009 at 08:53:40AM +0200, Jukka Klemola wrote:

> Banning the internet based spotting tools would ruin many things for
> the normal people who do not submit logs.

Really?  Before spotting, nobody enjoyed contesting?  When the micro-lite
DXpedition guys chose to go with low power and vertical dipoles for their
trips to the southern ocean islands, did that ruin the DXing experience for
everyone?

> The issue is there are guys claiming to be serious contesters who at
> the same time openly discourage the club from making best possible
> score.

This is a personal pet peeve of mine, and I think is one of the reasons
club competition is harmful and should be discontinued.  If my interest
tends to something other than producing the maximum score - for example,
operating single-op instead of single-op assisted, or operating single-band
instead of all-band or low-power instead of high-power - why should I be
made to feel like I'm letting the club down if I make that kind of choice?
When a club gets "serious" about winning in the club competitions, it can
really conflict with individual members ideas about being "serious" in
their own individual efforts.  I even know of a club that discouraged
some members from operating at all in an effort to avoid having too many
scores and being bumped into the next largest club category where the club
would not be as competitive!

--
Kenneth E. Harker WM5R
kenharker@kenharker.com