Re: [CQ-Contest] WPX Survey results #4 - Operating Time Limits

To: "'David Gilbert'" <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] WPX Survey results #4 - Operating Time Limits
From: "Randy Thompson K5ZD" <k5zd@charter.net>
Date: Sat, 7 Nov 2009 00:57:34 -0000
The purpose of the survey was to gather the opinions of the WPX Contest
participants.  In that regard, it did exactly what was expected and did so
extremely well!  I love that there are so many people with enough passion
and interest to respond.

If you ever wonder about the general appeal or interest in contesting, do a
state QSO party.  It is amazing how many guys will call in and deliver the
exchange perfectly without prompting.  They heard you calling CQ, they
answer and give you the point.  Maybe they aren't interested in seriously
competing, but they enjoy ham radio, working stations, and helping out.
This is all good!

All a contest sponsor can do is issue the invitations and host the party.
Who comes and how much fun they have is up to them.  The best the rules can
do is provide more opportunities for fun and competition among those players
who do join in the game. My hope is that the competitors tell their friends
about the fun and invite them to come to the next party.

Randy, K5ZD