[CQ-Contest] Coordinating run and mult transmitters in CQ WW?

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Coordinating run and mult transmitters in CQ WW?
From: Kristinn Andersen <kristinn1@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Nov 2009 15:04:20 +0000
Hi:

When recently studying the rules for MultiOp-SingleTX (MS) in CQ WW
contests, I thought it would be worthwhile to call for comments on the
coordination of the transmitters.  Specifically, I would appreciate some
guidance on two items.

1.  INTERPRETING THE RULES

The definition of 10-minute periods seems a little vague to me, as stated in
the rules.  I presume the meaning is essentially this:

Once the first QSO has been logged on a band, a run station can not go to
another band until at least 10 minutes have elapsed.  The same holds for a
multiplier station, i.e. once the first (new multiplier) QSO has been
logged, the multiplier station has to stay on that band at least 10 minutes.

Is this correct understanding?

2.  COORDINATING THE TRANSMISSION OF TWO TRANSMITTERS

My understanding has been that only one signal is allowed on the air at any
time?  I can not see that this is specifically stated in the rules (please
correct me if I have missed this), but still I gather that the mult station
can not transmit at the same moment as the run station?

If so, what means are used to coordinate this, in practice?  Does the mult
operator signal to the run operator when he want to "break in" and get those
multipliers, and does the run operator then stop for a while?  Does he
indicate this pause to the pileup by sending "please wait", or something of
that kind, or simply stop for a few seconds and then resume when the mult
station has grabbed its multipliers?  Are there any hints on good strategies
here?  Any hardware or software to facilitate this coordination between the
operators?

73 - Kristinn, TF3KX

--
http://radio.tf3kx.googlepages.com/