Re: [CQ-Contest] Here come dots (or at least dittitus)

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Here come dots (or at least dittitus)
From: "K0HB" <kzerohb@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2009 21:16:45 -0000
Back as a young Sailor in the 50's on a destroyer my job was to copy Fox
broadcasts.  24WPM coded groups 8-hours-on/8-hours-off forever and ever.

Bunk was below waterline, next to hull (5/8" steel, minor insulation
padding).

Docked in at Norfolk D&S piers amongst many other destroyers.

Hit my bunk exhausted after overnight watch.  Just zoned out and dozing off,
and start hearing Morse from the hull.  (Radioshack is 4 deck away, so this
code isn't from there.)  "Damn, this stuff is in my head.  I'm going nuts."

Decide to take a walk, clear my head.  Code goes away.

Lay back down, and it starts all over again.  Morse, coming right in through
the hull, but it sounds shaky and hand keyed.  WTF?  I really am going nuts!

Didn't say anything, finally fell asleep, and when I woke it was gone.

About a week later, same old thing all over again.

To make a long story short, turns out the Sonarmen had a system called
"Gertrude" which they could key their sonar and talk to each other and to
submarines when doing exercises.  Every Wednesday morning they had a
practice drill among all the ships in harbor.

73, de Hans, K0HB
--
"Just a boy and his Radio"
Sea stories here ---> http://k0hb.spaces.live.com/