[CQ-Contest] the "new" M/S for WPX

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] the "new" M/S for WPX
From: kr2q@optimum.net
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 11:46:25 +0000 (GMT)
N0HI said:
[snip]
It is also a wonderful category for people who cannot afford or do not
have the space for a second transmitter, filters, antennas, and other
associated hardware.  It is also a wonderful category for people who want
to host a few local operators and "set the contesting hook."  It is also a
wonderful category for anyone sick of entering m/s and getting knocked out
by guys running stepped down m/2 or m/m stations with [at least] one
fully-functioning second position.
[end snip]

Mike,

In your comments (above), you are talking about two completely different
activities
here: (a) casual guys and (b) serious guys.

For the former (what I'll call "casual") these guys could have always done
this...even under
the still current WPX M/S rules.  Nothing will change.  You can "set the hook"
in any
(multi) category.

For the latter (what I call "serious"), now you are "gripping" about not be
able to compete;
that is an entirely different story.  Not having the wherewithall to launch a
competitive
station should (IMHO) have nothing to do with a category definition.

If you think that forcing a M/S to have only one signal on the air at any given
time is going
to somehow prevent a current "high end" M/S from simply interlocking their
(multiple) radios
so there really is only one signal on the air at a time, well, all I can say is
that I do not
think that view represents reality.  Battling the interlock (octopus) is
actually a lot of fun,
even though it can also cause of a lot of internal strife at the station.  :-)

Under the proposed WPX M/S rule, I still see no legal barrier to setting up (as
some say) a
full M/M and simply interlocking all of the rigs so that there is just "one
signal at a time."
Doing the same for a current M/2 station to now be M/S capable is even easier.
Working with a partner or two and getting the "rhythm" down can be a thing of
beauty and
a great source of pride.  It sure builds camaraderie.

If the WPX rule doesn't change, nobody is going to drop out.  If the WPX M/S
rule does
change, there may be some (minor?) category migration.  In the end, I predict
that none
of this will matter in terms of participation.

de Doug KR2Q