[CQ-Contest] WPX...how to REALLY change the rules

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] WPX...how to REALLY change the rules
From: kr2q@optimum.net
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 11:32:40 +0000 (GMT)
I'm spending way too much time thinking about this, but here goes.....

But before I start, I fully acknowledge that having "different" contests (how
they work) is
part of the fun of contesting.  Nobody wants every contest to be "the same" as
all the others.

So.....

Currently, there is a bonus incentive (extra points) to get guys to work the
low bands.  During
the sun spot peak, the vast majority of time will be spent on 10/15/20 (maybe
even all)...and
you can easily win by doing that.  B4, nobody was going to 40/80, so the rules
changed to
"incentivize" such activity.

It is also well know that WPX is a running contest; with more Q's comes more
mults.  There is
"like no reason" to change bands to work mults when those same mults are almost
as likely
to be worked "where you are now" (band).

PROPOSAL:

1.  Remove the "incentive" to work the low band by awarding more points.  Equal
points for
each band (pick whatever number you like).

2.  Count prefixes as mults PER BAND = Instant incentive to work all bands.
And PS, the
current M/S rule would then make lots of sense.  But I"m not talking just M/S,
I'm talking
all categories.

Wow...would that be neat?  Scores would sky-rocket, lots (?) more activity,
still a "running"
contest, but now with extra emphasis on strategy (initially) and tactics.  You
can't just sit
on the "best" band and win; you have to optimize your score, which now includes
mults on
each band, meaning you MUST spend time on each band.

Yes, I know, I know...this is just the "classic" CQWW contest but using PX as
the mults.
Would that be so bad?  Only if you like variety.  :-)

Can't wait for the private email from Randy on this one.  LOL

de Doug KR2Q