Re: [CQ-Contest] CQWW CW - 10m

To: "'CQ Contest'" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CQWW CW - 10m
From: "K1TTT" <K1TTT@ARRL.NET>
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 2009 23:09:44 +0000
Actually... you don't really care what the sun is doing over your head, you
really care what it is doing a half a hop distance away from you.  The basic
rule of thumb for 10m in low sunspot periods is to aim at the sun from just
about sunrise to just after sunset, or maybe a bit later because ionization
tends to last a while after sunset.

To point out how this works, Sunday more as the sun approached from the east
first 20m opened for us with the first European at 746z  (sunrise here was
1200z)... now its possible that the first couple were left over long path,
but by 1030z 20m was definitely open and running short path into Europe...
followed at 1130z by 15m working 5z, 3v, then ea, tk, and then running the
restu of Europe by 1200z, right at sunrise.  It was less than an hour later
at 1250z that cr5x called us, then ea8, tk, f, and a smattering of other
southern Europeans and Africans.

Sunset was abt 2120z.. we were working carribean and south America up to
about 1845z when we were called by zl and 5w, then the band shortened up
again so we only had some carribean until about 2100z, followed by w4 to w0
until about 2200z.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@arrl.net
web: http://www.k1ttt.net