[CQ-Contest] new CQWW scoring rules (100% conjecture)

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] new CQWW scoring rules (100% conjecture)
From: José Nunes CT1BOH <ct1boh@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 2009 09:36:00 +0000
CQWW is about populated areas, i.e USA/VE, Europe and Japan, working the DX.
The problem is that Caribbean DX and Asia DX stations, will only get 2 and 1
points respectively when working their adjacent populated areas, USA/VE and
Japan

continents"<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Overall "CQWW continent" list would be NA(without USA/VE), SA, EU, AF, OC,
AS(without JA) plus USA/VE plus JA

The outcome of this?

1. For EU, USA/VE, JA, the populated areas of the contest it is business as
usual.
2. For "old 3 point DX land", SA, AF, OC, it is business as usual
4. Zones 6,7,8, now become competitive, having QSOs with USA/VE count 3
points just like their zone 9 neighbours
5. Asia becomes a competitive spot just like zone 33 and 9, having QSOs with
JA count 3 points

The world records will stay the same, now having new potential winning
places like zone 6,7,8,21,22, etc.
People will have more incentive to travel to zone 6,7,8,21, 39 etc, because
they will have good chances to win

The vast majority of wins in the CQWW Contest comes from zones 33 and 9.
That would be over because zone 6,7,8,21,22,39 etc now have a real figthing
chance

The spirit of CQWW Contest stays the same - the populated areas work the DX.

73 José Nunes
CT1BOH

This topic is right up there with "cut numbers."  :-)

First, the current rules (points/mults) are well established.  When someone
chooses to go
to a 2 point country instead of a 3 point country, they know that before
they make any plans.

Second, there are a lot of possible ways to change the scoring.  Members of
the various
committees do discuss this, although, as far as I am aware, not in any
formal setting; we
just like to gab about such things.  AFAIK, There is no formal agenda on
this.

We can change lots of things for "fine tuning" the point structure.  The
problem is that "fine
tuning" is actually means "trying an alternative."  As long as there are
population centers in
the world, some part of the world will ALWAYS end up being a "favored"
location (point-wise).

Using Grid Fields as mults and also using Grid Fields to determine points
(same Grid Field = 1
point, contiguous Grid Field = 2 points, next "perimeter" of Grid Fields = 3
points, etc) has
potential appeal for assigning points for DX.  But keep in mind, that means
that W2's working
W6's (and vice versa) would then count.  Boy would THAT change a DX
contest.  So if
one starts fiddling with that, then everything "falls apart" in terms of
"leveling the playing
field" because now you have established an exception to the rule.

Remember that as it is now, guys like V47 in NA experience 2 points as an
exception to the rule
already (normally would be 1 point).  You want to see "crazy" rules, check
out CQ160.  From NJ
I can work W6 and get "squat" while a VE3 can work a W2 in NY and "clean up"
point-wise.  I can
blow a VE out of the water in terms of Q's and mults, but they will ALWAYS
cream my score by
simply piling on the W's.  VEs can sit there an run W's all day.  How many
VE's are there for me
to work?  For me, THAT one REALLY needs changing (see..I can "get into this"
too).

Until we all live in equal densities across the globe, nothing will be
"fair."

But I'm all in favor of mental exercises.  Who knows...someone might
actually hit upon a
good one!  Happy conjecturing - it is indeed fun!  :-)

de Doug KR2Q

José Nunes
CONTEST CT1BOH - http://www.qsl.net/ct1boh