[CQ-Contest] MMSN and keeping 14.300 clear

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] MMSN and keeping 14.300 clear
From: Scott Robbins <w4pa@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 2009 06:08:07 -0800 (PST)
> I did not know about this.  Even more, look at their home page:
> http://www.mmsn.org/
>
> The petition "background" is amazing to me.  I quote:
> "The Maritime Mobile Service Net (MMSN) operates on 14300.0 KHz, 365 days a
> year, from 12
> noon until 10 PM Eastern time. "
>
> So they effectively own this QRG for 10 hours per day, every day?  And you
> have to just
> love the precision: "decimal zero."  :-)

If they are after precision, they can start with "kHz", not "KHz".

These jokers gave me a hard time for two straight hours when I had the
misfortune to use 14298.0 for my run frequency on Sunday during the 2007 CQ WW
SSB from P40PA.
Lots of 4 letter words, lots of (attempted, not too successful) jamming, lots
of telling me to QSY, you name it.

I was greatly humored by one of the self-righteous U.S. hams on the QRG who
told me he was going to report my operation to the FCC.  I spelled my Aruba
callsign slowly using phonetics to make sure he'd have it right for his letter
to the proper authority.

Scott Robbins
W4PA