Re: [CQ-Contest] Is it time to reevaluate CQWW Scoring Rules?

To: david.kopacz@aspwebhosting.com, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Is it time to reevaluate CQWW Scoring Rules?
From: jimk8mr@aol.com
Date: Sun, 06 Dec 2009 17:48:06 -0500
Now that contest results are scored by one computer and one program, the
sponsors', there is no good reason a contest could be scored by several
different metrics.

In the case of CQWW, start with "CQWW Classic".  Then add one based on distance
scoring, probably distances between zone centers rather than individual
stations. Maybe include one that factors in the degree of polar path
propagation. Zone 4 to zone 30 is a lot further than zone 4 to zone 18, but a
heck of a lot easier.  There may be other systems worth doing.

People would compete under any or all of the systems. Awards would be make for
all the scoring systems. Someone could with in multiple categories. EF8M might
win the "Classic".  V47NT might win a distance system. An OH (from OH) might
win a polar path factored score system.

Since all scoring is done by computer, there is no reason all qso points have
to be integers. So a contact from PJ2 to the USA could be scored a bit more
than a qso from V47, but not 50% more.  Maybe 10% more.

Ten years ago I suggested such an idea to the CQWW committee shortly after I
had operated CQWW CW in 1999 from 9M6AAC.  But I quickly learned that the CQWW
committee has about as bad a case of NIH (Not Invented Here) syndrome as exists
anywhere in the world.

73  -  Jim  K8MR