[CQ-Contest] GI0KOW vs EA8CMX point structure

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] GI0KOW vs EA8CMX point structure
From: kr2q@optimum.net
Date: Wed, 09 Dec 2009 12:46:26 +0000 (GMT)
Hi all...

1.  I like the discussion

2.  Anecdotal evidence is often just that:  a singular occurrence or a story
that sounds good but
is without a real basis - or more likely, not what really what it is portrayed
to be.

I was not previously familiar with the KOW vs CMX "case."

The first thing I did was to look at a map.  I then drew a line from GI to EA8.
I then drew the
perpendicular bisector of that line.  The bisector (points equidistant from GI
and EA8) runs with
a negative slope through EA and then through "the middle" of the Mediterranean
Sea.

Clearly, at least to me, GI is much closer to Europe than is EA8.  This is
REALLY important on 80.
The I took at look at the logs (all public) and did a cursory review.

KOW worked (about) 218 UK stations (which, by the way, are right in his back
yard)
CMX worked (about) 61  UK stations (which are vastly further from EA8 as
compared to KOW).

KOW worked 395 Germans (which are slightly beyond his "back yard)
CMX worked 110 Germans (which are vastly further from EA8 as compared to KOW)

So for me, this is less than perfect example to show "unfairness" but a very
good example to
demonstrate just how difficult it would be to come up with a "valid" point
system.

Carry on!

de Doug KR2Q