[CQ-Contest] Amusing incident in ARRL 10M Test

To: cq-contest@contesting.com, pvrc@mailman.qth.net
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Amusing incident in ARRL 10M Test
From: Art Boyars <artboyars@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 11:23:58 -0500
There I was, ho-humming along on CW Sunday afternoon, hitting F1 and
waiting for a local to stumble across me.  Ahah! NN3W calls in!

I hit a button on the keyboard to send the report, but I guess I hit
the wrong button -- the computer started sending something like "TU
K3KU"  Whoops!  Hit another button to stop the sending, then grab the
paddle and start sending the report.  Hey! No response from the
paddle!  What's going on!?!? Keyer WAS working.  Did computer get
locked up?  But external keyer is independent of computer...  Look
around, look around...  Wait a minute!  Why is the radio dial dark????

To "stop the sending", I had hit the Power button on the TS-850.

Push the Power back on, grab the paddle and send "NN3W 5NN MD".
Fortunately, he was still there.

73, Art K3KU