Re: [CQ-Contest] How to log an air mobile station in ARRL-10 contest?

To: Oliver Dröse <droese@necg.de>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] How to log an air mobile station in ARRL-10 contest?
From: "Kenneth E. Harker" <kenharker@kenharker.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 20:43:05 -0800
Oliver,

     The short answer is that contacts with aeronautical mobile contact
probably do not count for contest credit in the ARRL 10 Meter Contest.
The original 1973 contest rules allowed for contacts with maritime mobile
and aeronautical mobile stations, and also allowed contacts to be made
through amateur radio satellites that used Mode A (2 meters up, 10 meters
down).  The provision for OSCAR contact credit was dropped in 1979.
Aeronautical mobile stations were treated identically to the maritime
mobile stations in the rules until 2000, when the rules were revised
and all mention of credit for QSOs with aeronautical mobile stations was
dropped.  As a practical matter, the last actual log submission to the
ARRL from an aeronautical mobile station was W1PH/AM in 1978.

    I wrote an article on the history of the ARRL 10 Meter Contest for
the National Contest Journal: Harker, Kenneth E., "A Short History of
the ARRL 10 Meter Contest", National Contest Journal, Nov/Dec, 2005, pp. 4-9.
As one of the sidebars, I compiled a summary of the rule changes over time
(through 2005).  Enjoy:

ARRL 10 Meter Contest Rules Changes
-----------------------------------

As with most other radio contests, the rules of the ARRL 10 Meter Contest
have evolved over the years.  How many of these rule changes do you
remember?

1973: Originally, all contestants were mixed mode, exchange was the same as
      today.  There were two categories: Single-Operator and Multi-Operator.
      Each QSO was worth two points, but working a Novice on CW was worth
      four points.   Multipliers were states, the nine VE call areas
      (VE1-VE8, VO,) DXCC entities, and the three ITU regions for "stations
      that are not land-based."  D.C. counted as Maryland.  CW QSOs were not
      allowed in phone sub-bands.  OSCAR QSOs counted for this contest!

1976: Special U.S. Novice callsigns no longer issued.  Novice stations must
      sign /N.

1977: U.S. Technician licensees granted same HF privileges as Novices.
      Technician stations must sign /T.

1978: Contest period changed to 48 hours, with a maximum of 36 hours
      operating time for all stations.  Contest announcement clarifies that
      the only OSCAR QSOs that count are Mode A QSOs (two meters up, ten
      meters down.)

1979: OSCAR contacts no longer count for contest credit.

1980: Single-Operator category divided into Single-Operator Phone-Only,
      Single-Operator CW-Only, and Single-Operator Mixed-Mode categories.
      "Stations that are not land-based" are now referred to as "maritime
      or aeronautical mobile stations."

1983: CW QSOs are now four points each instead of two points.  CW QSOs with
      Novice or Technician stations are now worth eight points.

1985: The District of Columbia becomes a separate multiplier from Maryland.

1987: Multipliers now count once per mode, affecting the Single-Operator
      Mixed-Mode and Multi-Operator classes.  Novice/Technician operators
      can now operate phone on 10 meters; Novice/Technician CW QSOs are eight
      points each, but Novice/Technician phone QSOs remain two points each.

1989: Canadian multipliers change from call districts to provinces and
      territories, with Newfoundland and Labrador counting as separate
      multipliers despite being in the same province.  There are now 13
      Canadian multipliers: New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island,
      Quebec, Ontario, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta, British Columbia,
      Northwest Territories, Yukon Territories, Newfoundland, and Labrador.
      Rules now explicitly state that stations in the District of Columbia
      send DC as their exchange.

1990: Each Single-Operator entry class is now further divided into three
      power categories: High Power, Low Power, and QRP.  There are now a
      total of nine Single-Operator and one Multi-Operator entry categories.

1991: A No-Code Technician license created in the U.S.  Existing Technicians
      are designated "Technicians with HF Privileges."

1992: Rules suggest using the frequency range 28.090 MHz to 28.130 MHz for
      slower CW QSOs made at speeds from 10-13 WPM.

1995: ARRL Affiliated Club competition is added to the 10 Meter Contest.
      The frequency range 28.300 MHz to 28.350 MHz is designated a
      "non-contest window."  Stations may not call "CQ Contest" in this
      frequency range.

1999: Although the wording of the contest rules does not change, Nunavaut
      separates from the Northwest Territories (VE8) and acquires the
      callsign prefix VY0, making it a new (albeit very rare) contest
      multiplier.

2000: Aeronautical mobile stations dropped from contest.  Highly
      controversial "non-contest window" eliminated from rules.  Novice
      license class eliminated in the U.S., but existing Novices allowed
      to retain their current class and privileges indefinitely.  U.S.
      Technicians can still pass 5 WPM code element and earn Novice HF
      privileges.

2003: Rules clarify that any off-time taken must be in amounts of thirty
      minutes or more.

[/sidebar]

On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 12:59:01AM +0100, Oliver Dröse wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I worked a station /am in a plane during the ARRL 10 m contest. He sent me a
> serial number as well as the IARU region he was flying in.
>
> Now how do I log this contact? With serial number or region? The rules are
> clear
> concerning maritime mobile (/mm) operations but no mention concerning air
> mobile. And if with region which format to use? For region 2 just input "2"
> as
> the exchange or rather "R2"? How do you distinguish between as serial number
> and
> a region number?
>
> To make it even more interesting: For maritime mobile contacts the IARU
> region
> sent is a multiplier. How about the air mobile station then?
>
> Any advice?
>
> Vy 73, Olli - DH8BQA

Kenneth E. Harker WM5R
kenharker@kenharker.com