Re: [CQ-Contest] ARRL 160M Contest stories wanted

To: CQ contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] ARRL 160M Contest stories wanted
From: "David J. Sourdis - HK1A" <hk1kxa@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 07:59:03 -0500
I had the wrong idea that the contest would begin at 10PM local HK time (03.00
Z). So I had quite I surprise when at around 5 PM, before SunSet, I turned the
radio on to check top band with a  at 10 m high doublet for 160m, and TB was
bubbling with contesting dihs and dahs!

At that moment I was getting ready with tools to take walk a couple of hundred
meters from the shack to a 20 m high coconut tree where we had installed a
pulley at 17 m level and  hanged a vertical antenna wannabe lenght of wire that
had 96 m of horizontal wire and ca. 15 - 16 m of vertical run only. The 96 m
were distributed in four lenghts of 24m, for bottom and top loading. The
problem was that it was getting dark and I had to install alone the two bottom
like poisonous snakes at all (it is not phobia but close, hi hi) and SS is the
time when the rattlesnakes, coral and mapanás are wondering around. So I
decided to connect one side of the 200 m long open wire line to the bottom of
the vertical run and the other conductor to the top wire of the electrical
fence that runs for kilometers in the farm, and then "snake" out of the
tropical mini-forest ASAP!

The first night was not so good with this unfinished vertical antenna, but we
managed to do some S&P, with many stations having problems to copy our weak
signal. We had only 500W out of the TL922 because of the AC supply 220 voltage
that was a little low. Anyway, the vertical was good at receiving (or the
fence), we even copied a ZL station, loud 579.

Next day I had the vertical finished and many stations that didn't copy 5J1A
the first night, answered to our first call.

Pedro - HK1X, and I, installed also a Beverage, unterminated, 330º azimuth and
270 m long. I was eager to test a Bev for the first time on 160m, but when we
connected it, the QRM caused by a power line transformer rendered it useless on
160, the noise is not so though on 80m. In the end, we had the vertical and the
doublet and the fun.

CU on CQ160.

73

David