Re: [CQ-Contest] Why do we like our favorite contesting mode?

To: Randy Thompson K5ZD <k5zd@charter.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Why do we like our favorite contesting mode?
From: "Kenneth E. Harker" <kenharker@kenharker.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2010 15:13:22 -0800
On Sun, Jan 03, 2010 at 08:45:07PM -0000, Randy Thompson K5ZD wrote:
> I always thought people were either Phone ops or CW ops.  I.e., they favored
> one or the other based on their interests or skills and that was that.  But,
> is that really true?  Could there be other factors that influence our
> preferred operating mode?
>
> The WPX CW/SSB Contest participant survey conducted in Aug-Sep 2009 provided
> over 5000 responses from contesters all over the world. The survey asked for
> their years of contesting experience.  It also asked them to indicate their
> favorite contesting mode.
>
> Doug, KR2Q, did some data mining and the results are suprising!  Would you
> believe your preferences might be determined by how many years of contesting
> experience you have?
>
> See the results at http://www.cqwpx.com/blog/?p=52

I guess there are three possible explanations for that graph:

(a) Contesters' preferences for mode change as they age.
(b) Contesters' preference for mode does not change over time, but the
    popularity of phone contesting among new ops has been growing over time.
(c) All the phone ops die young.

--
Kenneth E. Harker WM5R
kenharker@kenharker.com