[CQ-Contest] K3 Kult

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] K3 Kult
From: "James Cain" <jamesdavidcain@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 2010 13:56:36 -0500
This comment on 3830 by N2IC: "Too bad that the conflict with the FOC marathon
allows some Sprinters to make QSO's that aren't available to non-FOCers" was
something that hadn't occurred to me but with which I concur. It reminded me of
another kult, namely, the K3 Kult that I expounded on earlier.

You will never get your K3 Kult membership, nor the lovely paraphernalia that
comes along, including the custom fit velvet dustproof cover ($100 kit, $150
factory assembled), if you fall victim to these two New User Traps. I'm not
saying I've done these things; I heard about them from somebody and am just
passing them along in the spirit of public service. After all, we want the K3
Kult to be "big tent."

1) If you use stereo headphones with the AFX quasi-stereo woo-woo rama dama
ding dong function, then plug in mono headphones without turning the AFX off,
you will think that a headphone line connection has failed, or worse. This will
happen during the first minute of a contest. You will take the headphone plug
apart, put on your tri-focals (or call for one of the grandkids), and inspect
those solder joints you made 35 years ago.

2) If you find that a miracle has occurred and your LP, low antenna station is
getting answers to your CQs, you will use RIT for the first time; RIT that
appears, on the surface, to be very cleverly laid out. Wrong! You will lose a
QSO by bumping the CLR button when you try to turn the RIT knob. This is
another diabolical Aptos Test to see how many stations mysteriously "disappear"
before you realize that you have been born again as a no-code Extra.

Jim Cain
At The K1TN Superstation
Atlantic City