[CQ-Contest] USB vs LSB CW was:Re: RX Heresy? - Key Clicks

To: CQ Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] USB vs LSB CW was:Re: RX Heresy? - Key Clicks
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2010 07:45:57 -0500
On 2/28/2010 10:20 AM, Jon Hamlet W4ZW wrote:
> Just because you can doesn't mean that you should.  If you have higher
> power, big stacks, tighter filters still doesn't mean you can plop down on a
> strong station and drive him away, does it?

This raises another question (hence the change in subject).  Ever since
I can remember, I have been more able to coexist close to another
station if it is down off the low-side response of both my 400 Hz filter
and the sideband filtering of the radio - that is, with a beat note of
<300 Hz or so.  Conversely, I have much more trouble coexisting with a
nearby station that is above me in beat note.

Do others routinely switch from USB to LSB CW?  One thing that deters me
from doing this is that with my radio, at least, I have to retune
substantially to get back to the frequency I was on.  It occurs to me
that it might be a useful function for contest logging software to
automate this process - switch sidebands and offset the tuning by the
relevant amount.

Comments?

73, Pete N4ZR