Re: [CQ-Contest] RX Heresy? - Key Clicks

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] RX Heresy? - Key Clicks
From: Doug Smith <dougw9wi@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2010 07:43:56 -0600
Just as a data point, I notice a *significant* reduction in rate when other
stations move in within my 500Hz IF window.

A small part of it is because of receiver issues on my end -- my
not-totally-crunchproof receiver, my wider-than-it-could-be window.

But even the rate of louder, easy-to-copy-despite-the-QRM signals declines
noticeably.

What that tells me is that the guy on the other end is having problems.

Of course, you can only go so far protecting the other receiver.  (and the
other set of ears)  We can't demand 2.7KHz of CW run space to accommodate
those callers too cheap to buy a CW filter, or 10KHz on phone for the guy using
an old S-38.  Can we demand 500Hz?  250?

--

Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN  EM66