Re: [CQ-Contest] Best callsign letters

Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Best callsign letters
From: "Mike McCarthy, W1NR" <lists@w1nr.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 08:01:34 -0400
Tom Haavisto wrote:
> Hi John
>
> Just my two cents worth:
>
> Don't use Juliet - use Japan.
> I would use Germany instead of Golf.  Longer (more syllables, but less
> confusion)

This is exactly what should NOT occur, but it has and has resulted in
the confusion we have today. There is a standard set of phonetics that
has been in place for as long as I can remember (at least 1960's) and if
everyone stuck to one standard set then there would not be the problems
we have today. I think they were developed by the military. Message
handlers strictly use one standard set them for a reason.

On CW any callsign with E, I, S, H or 5 is a problem. Take the
following: 5H5/JH1SHV. That is a fistfull and I remember a CW contest
where there was someone using a call from 5H very similar to that.

Mike, W1NR