[CQ-Contest] A Fun Contesting Memory of Vince K5VT

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] A Fun Contesting Memory of Vince K5VT
From: BobK8IA@aol.com
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2010 18:07:00 EDT
Of the 20 or so different ops that have contested here since 2003,  Vince
was special. Within the Top 1 or 2 of whoever has been here. His
concentration  was nothing short of amazing. I recall one funny time  here.
One of many.

Vince had arrived here about 11pm with a huge  sack of burgers and  fries
from In and Out. I'd never seen a sack that  big, really. That sack was
about
15"X12" and packed. Eeeks, just the  "nourishment"  most of us DON'T  want
deal with late at night,  contesting. But our small toy poodles loved  him,
smelling the goodies!  Instant infatuation with the big man.  ;-)

Fast forward a few hours.  I had just come into the shack to see  how we
were doing and maybe  spell an op.(We were running Multi-Two in ARRL DX CW
few yrs ago).  KS5A was on 80m and doing fine. Vince was, seemingly,
totally
engrossed with 40, but also with other activities. One dog was on his lap,
one  was lying at his feet. He had a large plate of burgers and fries  he
was
feeding  the dogs, and himself. Playing with the dogs too. Also  sipping on
Coke and  fiddling with his cell phone. I briefly  thought,"maybe he ought
quit messing  with the dogs etc and work  more stations". I was wrong.

His rate meter said 142 qso's the past hour  and short term rate over 240.
laughed, shook my head and went to do  something that would help the team,
like  making coffee. No need to  interrupt, or spell, Vince. He had it
DOWN!
;-)

I am sure the  Voodudes have many , many more  stories from all those great
contest years  in West Africa.

Amazing dude. RIP Vince!

73, Bob K8IA,  President
Arizona Outlaws Contest  Club