Re: [CQ-Contest] Are contesters born or made?

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Are contesters born or made?
From: Hank Greeb <n8xx@arrl.org>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 22:34:50 -0400
Mike:

Thanks for your thoughtful, and thought provoking response.

I didn't make up the number 10,000. The author of the book (Malcolm
Gladwell) said it in "The Outliers." I read parts of the book, and it's
certain that Gates and his cronies who started in junior high and then
went to high school at that high priced school had lots of advantages
over us common folks who were still using quill and papyrus for most of
our work. :)

I quote the Book Review in the New York Times
(http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/18/books/18kaku.html): "In much the same
fashion, Mr. Gladwell suggests that Bill Gates became Bill Gates because
he was lucky enough to attend a high school that “had access to a
time-sharing terminal in 1968” and because he had another series of
opportunities to spend hours working on computer programming before
dropping out of Harvard to start his own software company. Both the
Beatles and Mr. Gates, Mr. Gladwell argues, exceeded or came close to
what he calls “the 10,000-Hour Rule” — the number of hours of practice
that a neurologist named Daniel Levitin says are likely required “to
achieve the level of mastery associated with being a world-class expert
— in anything.” Also, says Mr. Gladwell, Mr. Gates had the good fortune
to be born in 1955 — one of the optimum years to be born to take
advantage of the personal computer age. "

So, please argue with Mr. Gladwell, the author, if you wish. Or, read
the salient parts of the book to more fully understand the premise upon
which the author bases his conclusion about expertise and genius being
trained, not necessarily inherited.

73 de n8xx Hg

p.s. The last concert I attended was "Verdi's Requiem" by the Grand
Rapids Symphony. I like some classical guitar, but Mozart is my favorite
composer.