Re: [CQ-Contest] Use of CW decoders in contests

To: Tom Macon <tmacon@wi.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Use of CW decoders in contests
From: Ryan Jairam <rjairam@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 21:18:55 -0400
I see no harm in allowing CWGet or similar and quite honestly I don't
see the point of banning it other than to force people to learn to
copy CW to take part in your contest.

And, IMO if you disallow these sorts of decoders you will discourage
some newer ops from taking part. I don't see your average winner or
top 10 using CWGet by itself. They will be mostly head copy.

Rather, it's some of the new guys who use CW copying software.  And
maybe if they get hooked they will probably try to learn to copy CW
because that is how you increase your score.

Ryan, N2RJ - a user of CWGet occasionally but I don't need it.

On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 7:56 PM, Tom Macon <tmacon@wi.rr.com> wrote:
> We are having a discussion in our club regarding the use of CW decoder
> programs in contests, especially smaller ones like state QSO parties.  I'm
> referring to CW copying programs like CWget or DM780, not Skimmer.  I'm
> looking for some outside input - here are some specific questions on which
> we have differences of opinion.
>
>  - Should the use of CW decoders be disallowed by sponsors, or should there
> be a separate entry category for entrants that use them?
>
>  - Can CW entries that use  a decoder be considered digital entries?
>
>  - Have any contests disallowed CW decoders or put them in a separate entry
> category?
>
>  - If a contest introduced such rules, how might it affect the perception of
> that contest in the contest community?
>
> Any comments appreciated!
>  - Tom, K9BTQ
> WARAC