Re: [CQ-Contest] Use of CW decoders in contests

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Use of CW decoders in contests
From: Hank Greeb <n8xx@arrl.org>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 23:03:08 -0400
I seem to remember that Samuel FB Morse started out with a "Code Reader"
- i.e. Ink Pen driven by his relays, which the operators read and put
down onto the Latin Alphabet.  They "learned" audio code by osmosis -
learning they didn't need to ink reader.

Methinks we'd not have much competition with a Morse reader, and it
"probably" would be a way to encourage folks to learn to "read the code"
via audio instead of via a computer.  I don't believe a computer can
"read" randomly generated CW nearly as well as the vacuum between a good
CW operator's ears.

Of course, a CW skimmer, et. cetera., which looks at the entire spectrum
and finds the "rare ones" is definitely an aid which puts its use beyond
the pale of SO category.

Lettuce B real - and encourage, not discourage the newcomers.

Or, we'll find CW dyiing off with the aging population of the CW ops.

73 DE n8xx Hg