[CQ-Contest] Use of CW decoders in contests - NO, IT IS NOT "SIMPLE"

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Use of CW decoders in contests - NO, IT IS NOT "SIMPLE"
From: kr2q@optimum.net
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2010 00:02:08 +0000 (GMT)
Hans said:
[snip]
It's really quite simple, isn't it.

Whatever TECHNOLOGY that you use INSIDE your station during the contest
period should be allowed in the "unassisted" category.  This specifically
would allow decoders, "panoramic scopes", LOCAL skimmer-like technology,
etc.
[end snip]

Hans, I wish you would more clearly state this as YOUR OPINION, since Skimmer
and Skimmer-
Like technology is specifically prohibited from the Single-Op category in many
contests,
including the BIGGEST of them all.

We have folks on here asking things like: What does "USA SO(A)AB(TS) HP" mean,
so we have
a fair number of novice or even potential contesters in the audience.

The LAST thing we need is opinion being couched as if it were fact.

I know that you used the word "should," but lots of folks will not read that
subtle nuance of
language into your statement.

I will never argument your right to your OPINION, but PLEASE be careful to
define it as such.
It is REALLY HARD to ensure that contesters enter the correct category of entry
(EG: "what is
assisted?") without potentially misleading statements being posted here.

Thanks for everyone's consideration of this when making sweeping-statements
which are
actually opinion.

de Doug KR2Q