Re: [CQ-Contest] IARU log checking report

Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] IARU log checking report
From: "Michael Keane, K1MK" <k1mk@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Sun, 06 Jun 2010 18:30:14 -0400
Yeah, this topic aperiodically resurfaces as it is confusing. Bottom
line is  what we refer to as ITU zones in amateur radio, are not the
official ITU HFBC CIRAF zones.

The history behind this is that the official ITU zones (formally the ITU
HFBC CIRAF zones) as found in the ITU Radio Regulations and the FCC
Rules, are a set of zones originally defined at the 1947/1948 ITU HF
Broadcasting Conference held in Mexico City. These zones are used in
defining reception target areas for scheduling and frequency
coordination in the HF Broadcasting (HFBC) service. They are known as
CIRAF zones because CIRAF is the acronym for Conferencia Internacional
de Radiodifusión por Altas Frecuencias... Spanish for International
Conference on HF Broadcasting.

The zones specified at that Mexico City conference are a set of
latitude/longitude vertices which are connected by rhumb lines i.e.,
straight lines on a Mercator projection. The boundaries of these CIRAF
zones do not follow any national borders (except by serendipity). That
makes sense given that the purpose for defining these zones was to
create a coarse grid for calculating HF coverage plots using propagation
prediction programs of the day, the predecessors of what evolved to
become VOACAP, etc.

AFAIK, the amateur radio version of ITU zones came about when someone
grafted the ITU HFBC CIRAF zones onto an amateur radio context. (Anyone
know who first did this and when? Was it the IARU? Was it the Radio
Amateur Callbook?) In the process of doing that, a number of changes
were made. The biggest changes being that the amateur radio version of
ITU zones have boundaries that are in many cases coincident with
national, political borders, but certainly not in all cases.

The IARU Region 1 HF Managers Handbook contains in its Chapter 10.10 a
table entitled "ITU Zones, when used in the amateur service". That is
probably the best way to think of these zones as they have relatively
little in common with the official ITU definitions except the name.

The amateur radio modified set of the "ITU zone" definitions shown in
the R1 HF Managers Handbook, the ARRL Opearting Manual and elsewhere has
been what's been used in the IARU HF Championship and the preceding IARU
Radiosport Championship since the first running of the latter contest in
1977.

Given that it's quite easy to confuse "ITU zones" (ITU HFBC CIRAF zones)
with "ITU Zones" (ITU Zones as adapted for use by amateur radio
operators in contests) one can expect this topic to resurface again in
the future :-)

73,
Mike K1MK