Re: [CQ-Contest] ARRL Field Day

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] ARRL Field Day
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2010 10:53:24 -0700
I think you may be missing the point.  Young people today don't find
basic operating for ham radio particularly enticing, so pushing them to
work on those skills first isn't likely to be much of a recruitment
success.  The whole idea was that young people find computers more
interesting and less "fringe geeky" than ham radio by itself.  Is a
youngster more likely to want to sit down at a station with point/click
display on a monitor, or at a station with a knob?

Forcing people to look at the hobby the way we did 40 years ago isn't
going to be much of  a draw.

73,
Dave   AB7E