[CQ-Contest] Logs

To: <jjreisert@alum.mit.edu>,<cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Logs
From: <ve4xt@mts.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 22:48:29 -0500
I think the proper response to any contest organizer that castigates someone
for not submitting a log
starts and ends with the letter 'f'.

No matter what level you play at, no matter how serious you take it, no matter
how seriously a contest
organizer takes it, it's still just a hobby.

The vast majority of people in any contest log, from the hard-core HC8Ns to the
harder-core OHxX,
are just folk indulging in a bit of off-time fun. If any of them chooses to get
on the air, make some
contacts and not worry about submitting a log, to them we should only give
thanks. THEY are the ones
who populate logs. The number of hard-core stations pales in comparison to the
hundred thousand or
so callsigns that appear in all the WW logs put together.

And if one of those stations, such as AD1C, chooses to make more than a
'dabbling' amount of contacts
and then chooses not to submit a log, it is 100 per cent his right to make that
choice.

None of this should be taken as criticism of any rule that an organizer wishes
to impose upon those
who choose to enter a contest and therefore choose to submit to the published
rules. But SURELY the
right to choose to submit or not submit a contest log MUST rank right up there
with, say, oh, just
thinking out loud here... the First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution!

I'm just sayin'...

And absolutely because of the above, I do believe that those who oppose a
contest organizer's rule
about public logs certainly have the right to choose to submit or not submit a
log. (And, First
Amendment and all, have the right to protest such rules with the contest
organizer.)

73, kelly
ve4xt