Re: [CQ-Contest] Public Logs, etc.? Who Cares?

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Public Logs, etc.? Who Cares?
From: "Ron Notarius W3WN" <wn3vaw@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2010 22:00:27 -0400
Paul,

You bring up an interesting point.

If there are no "secrets" left (W2LC's very interesting post
notwithstanding), then why is there such a push to mandate Open Logs?

The only reason I seem to see, this go around at least, is so that we all
"share" information with other contesters, new and old alike.

As I have said privately to a few people earlier... I don't have a problem
sharing information.  But I do want to be asked.  It may not be much, but I
think of it as a Common Courtesy.

If I am asked, and I often am, I'd say that over 99% of the time (that is,
unless I have a darned good reason not to) I agree and gladly share what I
know or what I've learned.

If I'm curious about something someone else has done, I ask.  Maybe I don't
have to, if the log is Open and I know where to find it... but I do anyway.

So why can't I be asked?  (And that goes for everyone else, as well)

Is it because some find it too much of a bother to be courteous?

73